Low income earners may need to lodge an income tax return
If your taxable income is under the tax-free threshold, there are reasons why you may still need to lodge an income tax return. The most common reasons you may need to lodge are:
- you are entitled to the private health insurance rebate
- had pay as you go (PAYG) withheld from payments received during the year
- had a reportable fringe benefits amount on your PAYG payment summary
- had reportable employer superannuation contributions on your PAYG payment summary
- made a loss or can claim a loss made in a previous year
- were an Australian resident for tax purposes and had exempt foreign employment income and $1 or more of other income.